In this week’s Style it up with Trina, I will be talking about natural hair coloring techniques. I’ve been Natural for a couple of years now and trust me when I say it’s not as easy as it looks. For most girls, hair styling is very fundamental so why not keep it up to par?
There are different types of natural hair, the picture below explains how each hair texture differs when wet and flat ironed.
Once you figure out your hair type, it makes the process of hair coloring easier, because you can then figure out what product is best for your hair texture. There are different types of coloring techniques you can try.
According to HairColorTechniques there are 5 types of hair coloring options:
- Highlights: “Probably one of the first innovations in hair coloring, highlights brighten and add shine. They work best in warm shades of gold, honey, amber, and reds and can be applied with permanent hair color or created with over-the-counter hair mascara, which usually washes out after one shampoo.”
- Twilighting: “When you want a lighter hair color to show a subtle change, twilighting is the answer. Twilighting tones down too-bright hair colors by adding a few darker tones. Twilights are closely related to lowlights.”
- Lowlights: “A hair coloring technique that adds real depth to hair color. Like twilights, low lights add darker tones and soften the look of over-lightened hair or add dimension to hair color that looks flat. A skilled stylist can weave up to three different colors into your hair by pulling a few strands here and there through a weave cap for a subtle look or foiling chunks of your hair for a dramatic, trendy look.”
- Veiling: “Brightens and enhances old flat hair color by applying a semi-permanent glaze in a richer tone over a permanent shade.”
- Chunking: “Takes large, random sections of hair and infuses them with new color. Chunking is a hair coloring technique that gives dramatic impact to your hairstyle, often by adding bright, trendy colors to natural hair color.”
Here’s a YouTube Video you can view on how it’s done dying your hair in a more Visual aspect:
Now that you know the techniques you then can choose what color best fits you. Today’s, we are stepping out of our comfort zone and dyeing our hair colors like Blue, Grey, Purple, Pink, Orange, etc. I think it’s very bold and daring that everyone is embracing their natural look and also willing to be different. For more information or tips on hair coloring check out this website: NaturallyCurly
“Hair Coloring Techniques.” Hair Coloring Techniques. N.p., n.d. Web. 07 July 2015.
“Dying Natural Hair Tutorial + My Results :).” YouTube. Ed. Liveloveglam. YouTube, 13 Aug. 2013. Web. 07 July 2015.
Kwateng, Danielle. 10 Bold Colors For Your Natural Hair To Party It Up During SXSW. Digital image. 10 Bold Colors For Your Natural Hair To Party It Up During SXSW. Style Blazer, 7 Mar. 2014. Web. 7 July 2015. (for the pictures)